Documentation - Install Guide
- Download the installer and run it.
- Follow the installation prompts.
- You can now access Red Eclipse from your start menu.
If you get a permission denied error during install, right click the installer and Run as Administrator. Alternatively, you can change the install location to a user-writable folder (like “[My] Documents”) during the install process.
GNU/Linux or BSD
- Download the stable AppImage
- After download, give the AppImage executable permissions through your file manager or using the terminal command
chmod +x redeclipse-*.AppImage
- You can then run Red Eclipse by double-clicking the AppImage or executing it from a terminal.
- Install Red Eclipse’s dependencies.
sudo apt-get install curl libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0 libsdl2-image-2.0-0 libsdl2-2.0-0
dnf install curl SDL2 SDL2_mixer SDL2_image
- Download the tarball, move it to your home directory, and extract it with your file manager, an archive utility, or the terminal command
tar -jxvf redeclipse_X.Y.Z_nix.tar.bz2.
- Enter the extracted folder (redeclipse-X.Y.Z) and run
redeclipse.shto launch Red Eclipse.
- Install additional dependencies to compile with:
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-image-dev libsdl2-dev
From the command line:
- Clone the repositry and its submodules with
git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/redeclipse/base
- Enter the working directory with
- Compile with
make -C src install -jN, with
-jNbeing set to the number of cores your CPU has (e.g.
-j4for a quad core system)
- Enter the source directory with
- Run the game with
- Download the macOS tarball.
- When it is done, click the resulting TAR.BZ2 file in your downloads folder on the dock.
- Archive utility will extract the contents into the same folder and open a Finder window with redeclipse.app highlighted.
- Drag and drop the redeclipse.app package to your favourite location (Desktop, Applications folder, whatever).
- Run redeclipse.app.
If this is the first time running the app, the operating system complains that it can’t run an unsigned package, simply right (or cmd) click and select Open. In future you will be able to run the app as normal, this will override the warning for all future attempts. You can also do this from the command line.
If you get stuck
Don’t panic! If you have trouble working out how to install and run the game, you can get assistance on our Discord or Discussions. Please be ready to provide as much information as possible, especially what operating system you’re on and specifically which package you’re trying to install!